Suspect in shooting of N.Y. officer taken into custody in Clinton Twp.

A Georgia man wanted on charges of shooting an off-duty police officer in New York City was taken into custody at a convenience store in Clinton Township on Sunday.

At about 12:20 a.m. Sunday, Franklin state police responded to the Anchors Away Convenience Store to check on a silver Toyota van with a Georgia license plate, driven by Michael Troutman, 43, of Snellville, Georgia, that was in the parking lot, police said in a criminal complaint.

Upon running the vehicle license plate, the troopers found there was a request for a felony traffic stop on the vehicle, and that Troutman was considered armed and dangerous, the complaint said, so they called for backup and conducted a traffic stop without incident.

While looking in the van for other occupants, a trooper saw the butt stock of an AR-style, 12-gauge shotgun, but the rest of the gun was covered, the complaint said.

At the scene, state police were contacted by a detective from the New York City Police Department who said she was grateful they had found Troutman, who had shot an off duty police officer and his grandmother with a 12-gauge shotgun, the complaint said. Both shooting victims survived.

The detective said Troutman was sitting in a parking lot in New York City and let the off-duty officer and his grandmother get into their vehicle before firing on them through the vehicle window and then fleeing the scene, the complaint said.

The detective said she had confirmed with police in Georgia that Troutman is a felon not to possess guns and that he has an active protection from abuse order out of Georgia, which also prohibits him from having a gun, the complaint said.

Troutman has been charged with three felony counts of possession of firearm prohibited, carrying loaded weapon and intentionally/knowingly accepts possession of a firearm/weapon from person with active PFA.

He was arraigned Sunday before District Judge Andrew Fish and placed in the Venango County jail with bail denied due to the severity of the charges and his criminal record.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled at 8:30 a.m. May 31 in Central Court.