Smoke in room forces evacuation at Sugar Valley Lodge

Firefighters responded to Sugar Valley Lodge on Friday afternoon for reports of a room full of smoke that was caused by an overheated motor in a heating unit.

The call came in at about 1:45 p.m. Friday, according to Venango County 911.

Polk fire Chief Tom Sherman said the building was evacuated after the room filled with smoke.

When firefighters arrived, the source of the smoke was in the ceiling or roof, so Franklin and Stoneboro’s ladder trucks were called out, Sherman said.

The ladder trucks were set up on each side of the building and firefighters went on the roof to inspect the vents and look for the fire, he said.

Firefighters discovered the smoke was caused by an overheated motor in a heating unit in one of the rooms, Sherman said. He added that they didn’t see any fire.

When the call came in, Sherman said he and three other firefighters were at the Polk Fire Department down the street having returned from another call about 20 minutes earlier.

Polk Borough Council president Jimmy Miller and Polk police Chief Ed Sharp commended the fire department for doing an excellent job.

Polk police, Rocky Grove, Cooperstown and Sandy Lake volunteer firefighters, Venango County Emergency Management Agency and Community Ambulance Service were also called to the scene, 911 said.